CASL 2018

CASL+2018

On Saturday April 7th through April 9th in Ontario California, seventeen of our student council members attended CASL 2018. The Pioneer Valley Student Council received the Outstanding Leadership Program Award from the California Association of Student Leaders. This was the fourth year in a row that our student council has received this award. This award is given based on self-study, and the students would talk about their weaknesses and successes within ASB and how they will build in the future. Only 5 percent of all the schools that apply for this award receive it. It was a great honor that Pioneer Valley student council received this award. And a huge Thank you to Mrs. Walters for always helping each of her students out and being a great role model to them. ASB wouldn’t have gotten this award if it wasn’t for her.

Q:How does it feel winning the award for the 4th time in a row? How was CASL 2018 this year? “For me knowing our school winning an award for the fourth year is very humbling because it shows our work at school is exceptional. It shows that our school is part of something big. CASL 2018 was an unforgettable experience and I loved every single part of it, even though I was running on the bare minimum of sleep. The most important thing that I learned at CASL was how important it is to take everyone into consideration to learn the difference between equality and equity and how we can bring that to our student body” -Valeria Ramirez (11)

Q:How does it feel winning the award for the 4th time in a row? What did you learn in CASL?” It felt good because it means we are doing something right in ASB, a lot of people don’t know what goes on in ASB, so it was nice to get recognized for the things we do. CASL was extremely fun, not only was there multiple workshops but there was a huge dance, we went to speed zone too and everything was completely free, I also got to see students get hypnotized” Clarisa (12)”      Q: How do you feel about winning this award for the fourth year in a row? Were you expecting to recieve this award? Are you proud of you ASB students for all of their hard work? How was CASL 2018 different from the past years? I never expect it, because we never know what’s going to happen. Since the way its chosen is by students and it’s chosen without names on it or anything. They don’t know which application belongs to which schools so you never know who they are going to pick. I was very proud, our student council members had a lot of challenges this year from many different places. Getting the award this year meant that they came together at the end and they made it work. One thing they had to do during the application process is to address the weaknesses of their program and they were very honest when they did that. I’m always proud of my student council members and I think a lot of times it’s not realized they do so much on campus. They pretty much do all of the activities, rallies, events like homecoming. Student council they plan that from the beginning to the end and it’s about 90 percent of the student and 10 percent me because it is their school. Every Casl is different because the group of students who goes to casl always learn something new about themselves or about leadership. I was so amazed this year, we took a few people who were very shy and and who don’t speak a lot and by the time they left Casl they were just filled with energy and enthusiasm and are ready to start next year ” -Ms.Walters

” It felt good knowing that PVHS won for outstanding leadership for the fourth time in a row, I believe we deserved and earned it for the hard work ASB dose for our community and school. CASL was such a fun experience! It was my first year going and it went so well, I’m excited to bring new cool ideas innovate our school” -Rudy Enriquez (11)