Santa Barbara Area Students Under Threat

Last week Santa Barbara police department received a report about a young man threatening to kill several students at San Marcos High School with a gun. As reported by News Channel 3 (Click for story)

I feel that lately this community has become more insecure and unstable by the way they act and take actions for what they think or want. Many people have threatened to kill others either with weapons or just a single sentence that comes out of their mouth. If there was more help with mental illnesses for these people there would be less school shootings, less drive beys, etc. There is help available but many don’t know about it or choose not to get it. There needs to be a greater effort to identify people with these issues and get them the help they need. -Diana Valenzuela Garcia (12)

“I believe that this world has become very disturbing and  its becoming worse and worse. There should be people out there helping these people with mental illnesses and help them know what’s good from bad. I feel like if someone stepped up and helped them and wouldn’t be scared of them there wouldn’t be any school shootings or drive byes.” -Emilio Madera (11)

“This world is so horrible, there has been so many school shootings and so many drive byes and so many people getting killed or injured. If only the police department would enforce the law and not let just anyone carry a weapon there would be more lives saved. There would be more people saved and not be scared to go out without thinking that they’ll get shot or something.” -Cesilia Gallardo (12)

“My opinion with all this situation is that America has become a very dangerous place to be in and to have fun. Santa Maria itself has become a the most dangerous place, there has been so much happening that most parents are scared to let their kids out.” -Yadi Salas (11)

“Schools need to check all their students backpacks before they come on to campus and they shouldn’t let them in until that weapon is out of site and out of their reach. Schools should have more securities walking around campus and keeping their eye out to see no ones in danger. I believe that if PV had those upgrades there would be less students in danger and the students would feel more secure.” -Lucero Rangel (9th)