PV FFA set to Dominate South Coast Regional Officer Team

When the noise settled and the time came to announce the 2019-2020 South Coast Regional Officer Team, Pioneer Valley FFA students were elected to four leadership positions. That is the most from one school, at one time, ever.

They are South Coast Regional Sentinel Marissa Arias, Regional Treasurer Sergio Segura, Santa Barbara Section Vice President Miguel Perez, and Regional Secretary Nick Vasquez.

King City amphitheater was the site where they would give their candidate election speeches to the delegates that represented the South Coast Region programs from San Jose to Los Angeles, said PV Agriculture Teacher Gabriel Ponce. Ninety delegates gathered and listened as one by one candidates delivered their speeches,’’ Ponce added.

Nick Vasquez, Marina Cuevas, Sergio Segura, Marc Cabeliza, Miguel Perez, Paola Zarate, and Marissa Arias made up seven of the twenty candidates that were slated for the South Coast Region Officer Team. Pioneer Valley had the rare opportunity having amongst the most ever candidates slated. Through Interviews, group activities, and much deliberation, the Nominating Committee slated seven PV FFA students.

Miguel Perez states, “This is a great opportunity. We are blessed to make an impact on the South Coast Region. This position I do not take lightly. I am looking forward to representing Pioneer Valley FFA and serving our South Coast Region.”
These students will begin their year of Service at the State FFA Convention in April. Throughout the year, they will be responsible for putting on Leadership Conferences, attending Leadership Development Trainings, and being the face of our region at agriculture events and activities.

Pioneer Valley’s students confidently delivered their messages to the delegates, asking for their votes in return to be elected as a Regional Officer. Marissa Arias spoke about her passion and commitment to team that is rooted from her experience in soccer. Paola Zarate reminded us to find our confidence, overcome our insecurities and fears, and let our roar be heard. Sergio Segura reflected on how a title does not define you and how each of us regardless of where we come from, what we have accomplished or not, that we can still make a difference. Miguel Perez announced his willingness to fight for the experiences that shape us in to the leaders that we become. Marc Cabeliza expressed how finding the FFA culture when he moved to the California was a moment that changed his trajectory. Marina rocked the region and used her platform to inspire others to be a little bit louder and have confidence in ourselves. Finally, Nick Vasquez touched on his Dad’s service as a detective to our county and how he is ready to serve.