Unicef: Red Hand Day

On Red Hand Day or as other people call it, International Day against the Use of Child Soldiers, the day is spent bringing awareness around the world for the need to end children who are forced to participate in military actions of any kind. This event is on February 12 every year and the main goal of this action is to stop this enforcement and to help as many children who have been affected by this. Ms. Maldonado, one of the Spanish teachers here at PV, is the director of the UNICEF club on our campus and this is what she and some of the members of the club had to say:

“The event took place on February 12, and everyone who took part in it had to stick their hand into red paint an then place their hand on a item sheet of paper. Then we put quotes about ending the use of kids as soldiers around the world. I’m really glad that we took part in this because it helps bring light to this problem that not many people know that is going around because honestly, I didn’t know about it.”- Daniela Roman (11) (Treasurer)

“Being a part of the UNICEF club and having the opportunity to contribute to the UNICEF Organization has been an important and honorable privilege for me. It gives me an indescribable joy to be able to contribute a positive impact for children and families in underprivileged countries, who unfortunately don’t have access to fundamental rights like education, health care, proper nourishment, etc. It’s always special for me and the UNICEF Club members to know that we are creating a positive impact for them through the information we educate to Pioneer Valley High School students on these matters and the fundraising events we plan. Red Hand Day is one of many projects protecting the rights of children. On Red Hand Day we say no to child soldiers or the exposure of children to war conflict in 3d world countries. As a way of pledging to the cause of Red Hand Day, we mark our hand with red paint on a sheet of paper. These hand prints are then mailed to the leaders who represent our country as a way of urging them change for the sake of child soldiers. It was a unique activity we hosted at lunch. It’s by far an experience I’ll never forget. Nothing brings UNICEF Club more joy than helping defend the rights of children and their families around the world. We will continue to host activities and plan ways of fundraising money in the next weeks to continue helping causes like Red Hand Day, and we hope that more students of Pioneer Valley can join us in contributing to the humanitarian effort of the UNICEF Organization. We host UNICEF meetings every Thursday at lunch in Ms. Maldonado’s classroom.”- Evelyn Letona Robles (10) (President of the UNICEF club).

“According to UNICEF, children are recruited to be fighters, informants, looters, messengers, spies and as domestic and sexual slaves in conflict-torn countries in the Middle East as well as in many African nations. Some of the countries where this is happening is the Democratic Republic of Congo, the Central African Republic, Nigeria, South Sudan, Syria, Mali, Yemen, Afghanistan, Myanmar, Iran, and Niger. This is an enormous human rights problem in the world today where children are being victimized. They are defenseless against powerful forces of war, where life and childhood have little value. There are many organizations, like the United Nations, working to end this terrible problem. UNICEF is one of them. The students in this club meet weekly to discuss this injustice towards children and The Red Hand Campaign is one way to raise awareness about this issue in schools. The students met to dip their hand in red paint and create a hand print to represent the need to stop the violence toward children. This was our first year involved in this worldwide campaign and our club president Evelyn Letona, a strong leader with high ideals, hopes to make this event grow at our school each year. She, and the other club officers, plan to create a path for more students to get involved, start earlier, maybe make it into a rally, create display boards, raise money for the cause and spread the word even further. I am proud of the work the UNICEF club is doing and the enthusiasm of the students involved. They want to make a positive change in the world for others who are in need, and this is one of the ways they are doing it. Next year in February, listen to the bulletin for announcements about Red Hand Day and get involved!”- Ms. Maldonado