Santa Maria’s 38th Annual Art Show

Some of Mr.Paulus and Mr. Karamitsos’ students were entered in the 38th Annual Art Show in the Town Center mall of Santa Maria. About 29 students  from PVHS were entered in the art show along with other students from junior high schools and high schools.

“I wasn’t planning on entering the art show. My art teacher told me one day that he had submitted one of my paintings. It was a nice surprise. I went back and forth between that painting and art assignments and other paintings. I’d say it took me maybe about 3 weeks combined. Nothing really inspired me. I was painting a picture I had found in a National Geographic book and decided to mess with the colors a bit as a form of relaxation. I displayed a painting of a Chinese village! I messed around with the colors and used a flat brush to get a nice texture.” – Jennefer Oropeza (11)
“Anyone is able to display their paintings at that show because it’s a public show for high school students. You’d just have to talk to the art teacher in charge and he filters which goes in and which doesn’t. It took me about 4 hours to make that painting. Most paintings take hours of course. I found a photograph of a man sitting peacefully and I’ve been wanting to paint it, so I did.” -Vanessa Osalde (12)
“My art teacher Mr. Paulus saw my work and thought it had potential and asked me if I wouldn’t mind entering it into the contest or if I even would like to and I thought why not, it wouldn’t hurt. It didn’t take much, to my understanding of getting it there. I had mosaic art type of piece that won third place and a mask I created also ended up in the show. Since I was only able to work on the pieces in class, I’d say the mask took me about two weeks and as for the mosaic art piece, about 2 and a half to 3 weeks because the pieces were very small and harder to work with. As for the inspiration for the mask, I didn’t really have any. I just started painting and I would continue to add on to it until I felt it had enough detail. And as for my mosaic art piece, I decided to create a flower. I enjoy drawing this type of flower that I’ve created ever since I was 14 and it’s kind of stuck with me since so it seemed like the “to go to” thing for me to focus on, especially because the drawing itself has so much detail and I enjoy plenty of detail in the pieces I do.” -Esli Martinez (12)
“My teacher loved my painting so he picked it out to take it into the art show. It is titled: “The Fat Baby,” which is a painting of a crying baby. My friend Juan is the crying baby and he’s thick, hence “fat baby.” I had to focus intensely to paint the painting the way I did. It took me 3 days to finish. I just saw a picture and I was like alright, I’m gonna do that” -Jared Martinez (12)