FFA Opening and Closing Contest

FFA Opening and Closing Contest

Many groups from the Future Farmers of America (FFA) club took top honor at the Santa Barbara Section Speaking Competition that hosted over 450 students and 50 teams from the Arroyo Grande, Lompoc, Nipomo, Santa Maria, Santa Ynez, and Righetti FFA Chapters in San Louis Obispo at Cal Poly State University. This Opening and Closing Ceremony competition is held yearly for many FFA Chapters in the area. Pioneer Valley has experienced this competition numerous amount of times, but the year of 2017 was the year one of the groups took the 1st place banner. These students have put in great effort and all had individual outcomes to this experience. Here are some their responses….

How do you think your team did overall? How did you think you do on this competition? As a 4-year member of Pioneer valley FFA how do you think it’s changed your life or character?

“The victory by the officer team is a win for the AG Leadership Class, for our chapter, and school. I am extremely proud of the hard work that everyone has put in to this accomplishment. What a great accomplishment to bring home the 1st banner is something special that this class and group of students will forever remember. My team did amazing, for the past three years placing 5th and 6th, to now gaining the title of 1st High Team in the Officer division our senior year shows the amount of work that we all put in. Everyone on the team followed the script exactly and delivered each of their parts beautifully. Being a 4-year member of Pioneer Valley FFA, my life has taken a turn in the best direction possible. I hope to one day pursue a career as a high school agriculture teacher, so I can give back to the organization and people that have given me so much. We could not have accomplished this without the guidance from our advisors. This win was not just for the officer team, this win was for our chapter and school. We could not be proud to bring this banner back to everyone at Pioneer Valley! Thank you to the teachers and administration that have supported our program throughout the journey.” -Daniel Joseph (Dj) Claborn (12)

How long have you been in FFA? Do you enjoy FFA? What do you think the purpose of this competition is?

“I have been in FFA for 4 years. It is such a fun experience! Some of the best memories I have made throughout high school were made in FFA. I think this contest serves for many purposes one of them being a more competitive way the other a more educational way. I want to congratulate everyone for putting in the hard work and time needed to accomplish one of our goals for this year. We as a collective group have earned this and hopefully next year’s competition we can continue to add to the history of our chapter. This win is for all those that have come before us and the future members to see of what can be accomplished. The competitive purpose would be that to show the other schools what’s up. It’s the first speaking competition of the year, it’s where each chapter has an opportunity to prove they are the best, to prove that they have what it takes to win this year. This competition really brings fire. After this contest everyone wants to win. They all have that aspiration to be at the other schools. The educational purposes of this contest would be to help enhance the public speaking abilities of individuals. This year our chapter officer team was able to place as the first high school team bringing home the very first banner in PV history! This was a definitely a turning point, fueling our chapter with ambition and desire for more success!” -Yadira Barrera (12)

How long have you been in FFA? Has the opening and closing competition helped you in any way? Did you enjoy it? What have you learned from this competition?
“I’ve been in FFA for two years. The opening closing event helped me because it showed me to not be afraid to speak in front of a large group of people. I enjoyed it because we got first place for our class!! This competition taught me to do everything possible and to do it to the best of my ability, and I will get results.” -Nick Vasquez (10)

How long have you been in FFA? What do you enjoy about FFA? How do you think you and your team did at the opening and closing competition?
“This is my second year in FFA. FFA is such a fun organization/club. I enjoy it because I get to meet new people from different schools and cities and learn about agriculture in many ways. We also get to go to different cities for fun competitions. My team didn’t go into the final around but I think we did the best we can and it was a close one. Even though my team didn’t place our chapter officers did. They got 1st place and brought home the first banner for Pioneer Valley opening and closing.”  -Aliyah Peinado (10)

How many students went to the opening and closing competition? How do you feel about those students taking first place in PV history? Do you feel that FFA can change a student’s life?

“There were 12 teams and there are 6 students per team, so about 72 students attended this event. Our officer team was first place, with two outstanding officers. Our freshman novice team took third place with two outstanding officers. Out of 41 open teams, which are mixed teams, we had the second, third, and sixth place teams. It’s exciting, for the first ever banner brought home from opening and closing, first ever symbol that we get to bring a banner for all the other students that have done this before and they have come up short at least they’ll be able to look at it to hopefully encourage them. I absolutely think FFA can change a student’s life. It’s changed my own, so I know for a fact that FFA can change their lives, their futures, their careers, their experiences, and prepare them whether the students go into the agriculture route or not. FFA is an awesome club.” -Mr. Ponce